Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hunting Trips-Bride Style


Hunting trips never held any appeal for me. All the packing, and driving, and camouflage, not to mention guns and dirt. Hunting trips held about as much entertainment value as a root canal, until last week.

My brother asked me if I was going hunting again. "Excuse me?" I choked. He knows how I feel about wearing neon vests. "Are you going hunting again?" he asked. "You know for the place to hold the wedding."

I immediately realized my brother was smarter than most brides.

Wedding planning, is like hunting. But while boys deck out in camo to stalk their prey, girls bring out the big guns to bring home the most coveted trophy venue, dress and menu they can track.

But if you want to look like a pro and not some chick running around in a neon vest that screams "ARMATURE! OVER CHARGE ME!" Follow this advice...

1. Act interested, but always ready to walk away.You can't hunt a deer by chasing it, you have to stalk it. Get close then back off, get closer, then back off, until it's yours. The same principle applies to wedding planning.In sales language, extreme interest leads to money--and not in your pocket. Extreme interest in any venue, dress, or menu lets a sales person know they can rake up the price as high as is not laughable. If you act interested, but ready to walk away, the sales person has to work for your money and will give you a price that won't push you out the door.

2. Dress the part.My mom always told me, "If you want to be taken seriously, take yourself seriously." Which generally meant, put on some makeup, heels, and a rockin outfit. How hunters take themselves seriously in all that neon and camouflage is beyond me.I may never figure out the appeal. But I do understand the appeal of a woman to respects herself enough to put herself together. A salesperson has to know you are serious about your event if they are going to put in the effort to plan it for you. In sales, your appearance is nine tenths of the law. Don't show up frazzled and makeup smudged after work. Talk slow, dress professionally, and show them you mean business.

3. Don't say "I don't know."Another sales "thou shalt not" is saying "I don't know." I don't know is code for sell me the most expensive item in your store. If you don't know what you want, an eager salesperson will help you make up your mind and empty you wallet. Do your research. Guys research their hunting grounds, you need to research pricing. Price out the ideas you like so when someone wants to charge you $100 for ten chair covers you will know their pricing is absurd.

4. Have Fun!Too many girls get stressed out thinking everything has to be perfect. Lighten up! In this game of hunting, nobody has to die. *wink

No comments:

Post a Comment